Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Interview with Veronica Kane

Well today’s Wednesday . . . that means it’s time for another Savas Beatie staff spotlight:

PG: What exactly is your position at Savas Beatie?

VK: I consider myself a marketing assistant. I answer the phone, fill orders, calculate authors’ royalty at the end of the year, keep track of book inventory and unpaid invoices. I also help Sarah set up radio/tv interviews for our authors, and sometimes I create flyers. Basically I do whatever needs to be done. And I update the website. That’s what I was doing just now (laughing).

PG: How long have you worked here and what did you do before this?

VK: I’ve worked here a little over a year. I started in May 2008, and the year before I was a part-time aide at my kids’ school. The previous seven years I took off to take care of my kids, but before that I lived in Virginia and was a production manager for a publications department.

PG: Why did you decide to work for a company like Savas Beatie?

VK: I wanted to get back into publishing. I like to edit, and I wanted to do something I was familiar with. Before I came here, I didn’t know that there was a publishing company in Sacramento, let alone one in my back-yard.

PG: Who do you think is the most interesting historical figure?

VK: After reading the first couple of chapters of our new book Sickles at Gettysburg, I know that I want to learn a lot more about Dan Sickles.

PG: Do you plan on publishing a book, and if so, on what subject?

VK: No, I don’t plan on it. My husband’s talked about it, so I might help him with it. A teacher at the school I worked at started a blog about the 500 things she wants her daughter to know. It became really popular and a publishing company asked her to write a book about it. So I joke with my husband that he can start a blog about manners, and someone will approach him and ask him to publish it.

PG: And then you can do marketing for that book too! (Laughing.) What is your favorite book?

VK: Lord of the Rings.

PG: What do you do in your free time?

VK: I don’t have much free time. I’ve recently taken up the guitar, but once school for my kids starts, their after-school activities start to take over and it’s 8 p.m. before I know it.

PG: How old are your kids?

VK: 10, 9, 7, and 5.

PG: You said you’re learning to play guitar. Is this your first instrument, or have you played any others in the past?

VK: I played piano when I was younger, and now I wish I hadn’t stopped. I also played flute for two years.

PG: What is your favorite food?

VK: Filet Mignon with Bernaise sauce.

PG: Mmm, sounds good. We’ll have to have a Savas Beatie meal with everyone’s favorite foods after the interviews are done!

VK: Sounds good!


3 comments:

  1. I love these interviews! Thank you for sharing such personal information about my favorite publishing company!

    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading!!

    Parul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Veronica wants to learn more about Sickles!! That's great-- I had no idea!

    Jim "Sickles at Gettysburg" Hessler

    ReplyDelete